Aim & Outcomes: Upon completion of this training session, the trainee will gain competences for guidance in the institutional environment in the country and services offered, as well as for the interaction between organisations in the field of labor market regarding the process of job creation and promotion of social inclusion.
To a considerable extent the institutional system of the labor market in Bulgaria is built in synchrony with the relevant institutions in the EU. Following the Labor Code and the Employment Promotion Act, the main organs and their functions are defined as follows:
At the national level:
- The National Council for Tripartite Cooperation which implements on national level the tripartite cooperation as a fundamental principle in regulating the labor relations. This organ discusses and gives opinion on draft legislation, regulations and decisions of the Council of Ministers.
- Branch and municipal councils for tripartite cooperation which discuss and give opinions on the settlement of specific issues on labor law relations for the industry sector, branch or municipality.
Central authorities for employment policy:
- The Council of Ministers, which determines the state policy on employment and adopts annually the National Action Plan for Employment proposed by the Minister of Labour and Social Policy;
- Executive bodies that create conditions for the promotion of employment and for acquiring professional qualification by adults, outside the system of higher education. Here are included:
- The Minister of Labour and Social Policy is the central body of executive power, which develops, organizes, coordinates and implements the state policy on living standards, social security, unemployment protection and employment promotion, labor market safety and health at work, social assistance and social services, and equal opportunities for women and men in the employment area. These activities are carried out independently or jointly with other state bodies and/ or community organizations.
To the Minister of Labour and Social Policy are functioning nine administrations, including:
- Agency for Social Assistance: responsible for implementation of the state policy in the field of social assistance and social benefits.
- Agency for people with disabilities: responsible for implementing the government policy on integration of people with disabilities.
The Agency performs the following functions:
- Creates and maintains a database for people with disabilities;
- Registers persons carrying out activities to provide aids, devices and facilities for people with disabilities and medical devices according to the Law on Integration of People with Disabilities;
- Supervises provision of assistive devices, appliances and equipment for people with disabilities and medical devices;
- Keeps a record of specialized enterprises and cooperatives of people with disabilities;
- Participates and gives advices in the preparation of draft legislation related to people with disabilities;
- Develops programs and finances projects that stimulate economic initiative for people with disabilities and ownership in the interests of people with disabilities;
- Develops programs and projects funded rehabilitation, integration and build an accessible environment for people with disabilities;
- Prepares annual summary reports and analysis on integration of people with disabilities;
- State Agency for Child Protection
- Center for Human Resource Development and Regional Initiatives
- Executive Agency "General Labour Inspectorate"
- National Institute for Conciliation and Arbitration
- Fund "Social protection"
- Fund "Working Conditions"
- Employment Agency
The vision of the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy for the development of policy on integration of people with disabilities in recent years is closely related to the implementation of an integrated approach to policy management. The policy of integration of people with disabilities is related to the universality, indivisibility and interdependence of all human rights and fundamental freedoms, and the need to ensure regarding people with disabilities the full enjoyment of rights without any discrimination. In this policy is applied the personal- oriented approach, which is based on human rights and is aimed at ensuring the integration and full participation of people with disabilities in public life.
- The Employment Agency, which implements the state policy on employment promotion and protection of the labor market, vocational guidance and counseling, vocational and motivational training of unemployed and employed persons, and conducts mediation services for employment.
The employment policy is implemented by the Employment Agency with its regional structures across the country. Its main functions consist of providing a wide range of services to employers and job seekers, as well as specific actions to improve the adaptability of certain groups to the labor market requirements.
The main functions of the Employment Agency include:
- Registration of job vacancies and of persons who actively seek employment;
- Mediation services for employment;
- Joint participation with municipalities and employers in the development of socially beneficial activities for the municipality and the State;
- Participation in the development and implementation of programs and measures for employment and training, aimed at specific groups of unemployed people who, for various reasons, have more difficulties to integrate on the labor market (for example: people with disabilities);
- Protection and preservation of employment;
- Analysis of the labour supply and labour demand and forecasting of possible changes in the labour market situation;
- Council to the Employment Agency, including members of national represented organizations of employers and employees.
- The National Council for Promotion of Employment subordinated to the Minister of Labour and Social Policy as a permanent body for cooperation and consultation in the development of employment policy.
Regional employment bodies:
- State policy on employment and training for acquiring professional qualification in the regions is carried out by regional administrations, local authorities together with the territorial divisions of the Employment Agency, the territorial divisions of ministries, organizations and social partners.
- Permanent or temporary employment committees, which are created with decision of the Regional Development Council at the Council of Ministers and with the decision of the regional councils for regional development.
- To the divisions of the Employment Agency operate Cooperation Councils, which carried out direct supervision and control over the implementation of the employment policy.
- The regional governor ensures coordination between national and local interests on the employment issues in the development and implementation of plans for regional development and reducing of the unemployment rate.
- Directorates “Regional Employment Service". They are nine and function as territorial divisions to DG "Employment Services".
- Directorates "Labour Office”
Directorates "Labour Office" are territorial divisions to DG "Employment Services". The headquarters and the territorial scope of the directorates "Labour Office" shall be determined by the Minister of Labour and Social Policy.
The main activities of the directorates "Labour Office" include:
- Services for job seekers: registration of persons who actively seek employment; providing services to these persons such as information about vacant jobs; information about programs and measures for employment and training; mediation in employment process; vocational consulting and guidance, etc.;
- Services for employers such as: information about the persons who are actively seeking job; information on programs and measures for preservation and promotion of employment; mediation services; participation in the implementation of national, sectoral, regional and local programs for employment and training, incl. for vulnerable groups in the labor market (for example: people with disabilities), etc.;
Specific country aspects- Austria
Short list of related institutions:
- Pro mente Steiermark, various services for people with various disabilities, amongst others work assistance for adults with psychosocial disorders
- Arbeitsassistenz Odilieninstitut, school for people with various disabilities as well as work assistance for blind and visually impaired youth and adults
- Lebenshilfe Steiermark, various services for people with various disabilities, amongst others work assistance for youth and adults with various disabilities
- Alpha Nova, various services for people with various disabilities, amongst others youth coaching and job coaching for youth and adults with various disabilities
- Chance B, various services for people with various disabilities, amongst others job coaching and work assistance
- Berufliches Bildungs- und Rehabilitationszentrum - BBRZ – professional rehabilitation measures for people with disabilities and youth.
- Berufsförderungsinstitut Steiermark – Vocational education measures for disadvantaged youth and adults
Specific country aspects- Spain
Short list of related institutions:
- Servicio de Información sobre Discapacidad (SID) - Disability Information Service
- Observatorio Estatal de la Discapacidad (OED) – National Observatory on Disability
- Oficina de Atención a la Discapacidad (OADIS) - Office of Attention to Disability
- Centro de Intermediación Telefónica - Intermediation Call Center
- Centros de Recuperación de Personas con Discapacidad Física (CRMF) - Recovery Center Physically Disabled
- Centros de Atención a Personas con Discapacidad Física (CAMF) - Care Centres Physically Disabled
- Centros de Referencia Estatal (CRE)- State Reference Centers
- Turismo y termalismo para personas con discapacidad - Tourism and Hydrotherapy for people with disabilities
- Centro Español de Subtitulado y Audiodescripción (CESyA) - Spanish Centre for Subtitling and Audio Description
- Centro Español de Documentación sobre Discapacidad (CEDD) - Spanish Documentation Center on Disability
Specific country aspects- Turkey
Short list of related institutions:
Responsibilities and main activities
Ministry of Health
Legislation on health services; protective health services for prevention of disability; licensing of rehabilitation organizations, medical treatment service s through affiliated centers
Ministry of National Education
Policy making and implementing special education services
Ministry of Labour and Social Security
Legislation, vocational rehabilitation, facilitation of employment, social security services
Ministry of Family and Social Policies
Cooperation and coordination between national and international institutions, assisting preparation of national policies on disability, defining problems of persons with disabilities and making researches in order to solve these problems.
Planning for and implementing social services targeting children, adolescents, adults, persons with disabilities, the elderly, families and communities in poverty as well as coordinating and supervising such services and activities.